Friday, October 22, 2010

New words

If there was ever any doubt about how friendly the malagueños (people of Malaga) are towards foreigners, this is a good example:

I have a fringe. I had it cut before coming out here, but it had started to grow over my eyes again and I needed a trim. I have cut it myself before and usually ended up with a mess! In the UK, if I pop into the place where they cut and colour my hair regularly, they do a free "fringe trim" but, if I go somewhere different, I usually have to pay a nominal sum. On my way home just now, I went into a hairdressers (having found the word for fringe in my dictionary: flequillo) and asked if they could trim it. She did and, when I asked how much I owed her, she said "nada" (nothing). How lovely! So now I can see again and I have learned a new word!

My lessons were both mainly conversational: Sergio's was discussion about "designer babies" and abortion and then Isa's class was all about chat-up lines and pulling! We also looked at ways of using the various superlative forms, of which there are many in Spanish (they are very dramatic people!). A very interesting lesson and I now know some really good colloquial language.

I looked at a past paper for Spanish A level this morning and was, frankly, flabbergasted by how easy it was! I do not anticipate having any major problems with doing the A level when I get home. I just hope I can get it out of the way quickly and do not have to wait until June.

Out in town tonight then I plan to do some Malaga-based sightseeing this weekend. The weather is a bit less sunny, so should be good for walking around the various castles and museums.

No comments:

Post a Comment