Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Intracontinental relations reach breaking point

It was a bit chilly again this morning, but it is now scorching!

Grammar lesson: First of all we read some more of the book. I seemed to be the target for criticism about my pronunciation today and felt a bit upset that I couldn't say the words with feeling. The problem was that I didn't understand what I was reading, so struggled to put feeling into it. Before tomorrow's lesson, I will read the next few pages with my dictionary (instead of re-reading it after the lesson as we are meant to). Then we continued looking at temporales.

Sergio's lesson was more on the environment and then we used the subjunctive or indicative to give opinions about things.

Then it was time for the extra lesson. Laura was not there and the 2 german women had got themselves into full german speaking mode by the time Teresa arrived. We marked the homework on prepositions... in the whole 45 minutes, we managed to just mark 2 exercises because the germans didn't get it and were taking so much time. It was a gapfill and we were taking it in turns to give our answer (a choice of 4 possible words). After half an hour of slow progress, I was getting quite frustrated with the constant silences when one of them didn't know the answer. I started saying the answer after a silence. Annoying, maybe, but can you imagine how much time we had already wasted and now we were sitting waiting for each answer. Had they not done the work at home?

I had just said one of the words, when one of the women whipped around and had a go at me in german. I don't really speak german, but I got the meaning: "would you just shut up!" Then she proceeded to rant about me and how annoying I am to the other woman - in german! I was so extremely shocked by this that I just sat there in silence, my heart pounding. Teresa didn't understand what had happened and we carried on with the work. At the end of my 45 minutes, I got up and said to the women (in Spanish) that I could understand some german and if they had a problem with me, they should tell me this in Spanish as it is very rude to speak about someone in another language. They just shrugged and said "bye then". HOW RUDE! I was absolutely fuming. Bless her, poor Teresa had no idea what was happening and followed me outside. I explained it all to her and she told me that she finds them pesadas (tiresome) and that she agreed that what they had said was very rude. I am going to be taught separately from them from now on - my level is above theirs so I will be given my own work to do away from them.

I will refrain from making any xenophobic comments here as I know plenty of polite and pleasant germans. These 2 are simply rude, old women and their nationality is irrelevant. I am still very shocked at their arrogance and hope I don't have to see them too much in the school.


Afternoon on the beach and now I am going to watch some TV

No comments:

Post a Comment