Monday, October 25, 2010

Fin de Semana (weekend)

It's becoming increasingly odd to write this in English! (Don't worry, I will not suddenly start writing entirely in Spanish.) I have gotten into the habit of writing short essays in Spanish in the past tense for Isa to mark each day in order to practise my past tenses and I keep pondering on the appropriate tense whilst blogging!

On Saturday morning, I woke up feeling distinctly rubbish. It was cloudy and rain was forecast, so I decided to postpone my tourist day and instead slept almost all day!


On Sunday, I woke up feeling a lot better and made my way into town by bus. I aksed the driver to tell me where I should get off in order to visit the castle of Gibralfaro. He seemed amused that I intended to walk from the centre, implying it would make more sense to catch another bus. When I got off, there was a marathon taking place and I had to wait for 15 minutes to cross the road (I took advantage of a brief gap in the runners)!



Then I started the climb. Many steps. Quite a hike. I wished I had brought some water as I got very thirsty. At the top, I was very happy to see a cafe and gulped down a can of diet coke in record time. Then I paid my €2.10 and visited the castle. It was very beautiful.




The views of the city and the port were absolutely breathtaking, especially as it turned into a beautifully sunny day.






I found another sundrenched cafe and finished my Spanish novel (with dictionary) whilst drinking coffee. Then I walked back down and came home to change and grab my towel before heading to the beach. I managed to get in a couple of hours of sunbathing before getting ready to go out again. José and Juan Antonio took me to Torrox, where we met with some more people. It was a funny little place and the locals' accents were even stronger, if that is possible!

The other exciting thing that has happened is that I have spotted a great job opportunity: teaching French in an English school in Marbella! It isn't far from here and would be the best possible thing for me. It is a short maternity cover, from February to June and I am going to send my application today. I might have to drive over if I did get it, as I would want all my stuff and possibly Pip too! Anyway, we'll see if that is what Fate has decided I should do. It really would be the best thing in terms of both my career and my Spanish. Plus, the life in Spain really does suit me.

Right, I had better go and write a summary of the book for Teresa. I promised her I would do so...

No comments:

Post a Comment