Sunday, September 19, 2010

Thinking ahead to my exams!

As my time in Spain approaches, I have started looking at the requirements for the A level I will do on my return. I plan to do some of the reading etc while I am out there. The exam board I will use is WJEC as I have taught their French A level and the course is quite straightforward.

The reading list for the World of Literature mainly seems to consist of books about the Spanish Civil War and most didn't appeal, but the following 2 look quite good:
Ernesto Sábato's El Túnel ("dark, psychological novel written by Argentine writer Ernesto Sabato about a deranged porteño painter, Juan Pablo Castel, and his obsession with a woman.")
Laura Esquivel's Como Agua Para Chocolate ("The novel follows the story of a young girl named Tita who longs her entire life to marry her lover, Pedro, but can never have him because of her mother's upholding of the family tradition of the youngest daughter not marrying but taking care of her mother until the day she dies. Tita is only able to express herself when she cooks.")

The World of Cinema component has an easy winner for me:
El Laberinto del Fauno directed by Guillermo del Toro is amazing and I will enjoy watching it again.
I also like the look of Mujeres al Borde de un Ataque de Nervios directed by Pedro Almodóvar because the title makes me giggle.

The Regions of Spain bit contains El País Vasco where I used to live and Andalucia where I will be this time.

I only have to do one in total in the exam, but better to have a few to choose from. I'm quite looking forward to getting stuck into it all while I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment