Wednesday, September 29, 2010

El día de la Huelga General

So today was the day of the strike. The day when everything was meant to grind to a halt in sympathy for the impoverished workers... as far as I could see, everything except the buses was business as usual!

I managed to work out a good temperature for my aircon last night and, as a result, slept really well. I woke up feeling ready to work.

Teresa's lesson (8.30-10) was grammar as always. Today we looked at the imperfect subjunctive. In French, this is very rarely used, but Spanish seems to use it far more. The subjunctive generally in Spanish is far more necessary and the imperfect is the common past tense use for it. It was far less complicated than I was expecting!

Sergio's main lesson (10.15-11.45) continued with more conversational Spanish. We looked at some photos and had to suggest what was happening and use the subjunctive to do this "maybe/perhaps/I hope that..." We also looked at how you use the future tense for present tense hypotheses.

Sergio is away on Friday, so I had a longer 3rd lesson with him than normal. Normally, I have this from 12-12.45, but I stayed until 1.30 to make up the lesson we will miss on Friday. Laura is doing the 30 lesson intensive course, so she always has a double then (I am doing 25 lesson intensive, hence 1 extra lesson per day on top of most people's 2 doubles). If you understood that, well done! We continued with the preterite and looked at irregular verbs.

Then I was able to use my new toalla. I went to the beach and sunbathed for a couple of hours, before returning to the school for a swim in the pool. I also did my homework whilst sunbathing! I love homework... I know, crazy, but there you go! I enjoy the process of consolidating what I have learned - completing worksheets and taking my time with verb tables. There is something very pleasing about the whole thing. I'm sure my students never said or thought this. (Then again, I don't think I enjoyed homework or worksheets when I was at school and uni... must be an age thing!)

In my culture lesson, I was told about Spanish pop music and we listened to a few songs. I really like Spanish music. French music generally seems a bit lacking, but Spanish is just the right kind of language to sing about heartache and desire!

The weather is glorious: blue sky and hot sun, but not unbearable, stifling heat. I am starting to change colour and have that panda look that comes from sunbathing with sunglasses on!

No comments:

Post a Comment