Monday, September 27, 2010

On the other side of the desk!

So, my learning has started. I got to the school at 8.15 and immediately started my test to determine my starting level. It was a grammar test and it all started so easily... then got quite a bit harder. The tenses necessary for GCSE are fine. After all, I have been teaching them for 3 years. Suddenly, I found a large flaw in my grammar. El subjuntivo. The subjunctive in French is always a hard one for students (A level students), but I am quite comfortable with it. For some reason, I have never learnt it in Spanish and so I was extremely sketchy and wildly guessing random uses and endings.

I finished fairly quickly and then had a coffee while I waited for the rest. At 9.15 we were given a presentation by Sjef (pronounced Chef) who is one the non-teaching staff. He told us about Málaga and the school. He also gave us information about the extra (optional and free of charge) cultural classes, which are every day from 4.15-5pm. The topic changes weekly and is in order to inform us about random aspects of Spanish culture. This week is la música española. The whole culture side is an important part of the A level, so I signed up. Finally, Sjef told us about the trips and visits we can take part in. I have signed up to go to the cinema tomorrow evening, to see Origen which I think is Inception, a film I wanted to see and didn't get around to seeing in the UK.

After the presentation, we had a tour of the school. It used to be a family's house and has several classrooms and a lovely garden out the back with its own little pool.

Then we got our results individually. I was where I had hoped to be - higher intermediate. This means I am starting at a respectable level but have room to go up too. I asked Sjef about my TV and I now have TV in my flat! (I have to put it on channel 15 and then use the digibox remote... I had given up at channel 10!)

Then it was straight to lessons. My timetable is a morning one, so I start at 8.30 and have 4 lessons of 45 minutes in a full class (with a couple of breaks). Then I have a final extra class with just one other girl, Laura. (I think she's German, but I have forgotten. There is only one other english speaker, an American bloke, which is great.) This extra lesson is because I am doing the more intensive course. We focus on grammar - today we started on the subjunctive! In the bigger class, we were studying from the textbook and looked at a text about paranormal-type things. It was a very discussion-based lesson and was great for general conversation and improving confidence.

My teacher is called Sergio and he seems really nice. All the staff are very approachable, in fact.

After my classes ended (12.45), I headed home to drop off my textbook and laptop, then popped to the beach before remembering I had signed up for the culture class and made my way back to the school. It is a good 15 minute walk, so I think I might have to wear shoes other than flip-flops in future: my feet are killing me now! I decided to relax by the pool for half an hour before class and it was great - the sun hits the garden in the afternoon and the sunlounger was perfect! I only brought towels for shower and have not been able to buy a beach towel yet, so I didn't go in the pool before my class. I did have a quick dip after though!

The class was very interesting. The teacher was Isa and she is lovely. Only one other student had signed up (the American, Timmy). Isa told us all about the origins of Flamenco (I hadn't realised it was from Andalucía) and we watched some clips of the guitarristas, bailaores and cantaores. After a quick dip and sunbathe by the pool, I made my way back home. Now I am aching from all the walking and carrying a heavy bag, but I am looking forward to more learning tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment