Sunday, August 14, 2011

Catch up on the weekend

Friday
I had a nice, if tiring, day. J gave me a lift into el Palo, the neighbourhood in Málaga where I lived last year. He dropped me off near the school and I popped in to say hi. I saw all my teachers and they remembered me. It was lovely to see them and to be back in the school where I had such an amazing time last year.

Then I got the bus into the city centre. First, I went to Bershka, the most lovely clothes shop. They sell exactly the kind of clothes I love and it's not expensive at all. I bought a really tiny mini blue denim skirt (€16) and a white top (€8).

All in all, a good shopping experience! I went to my favourite clothes shop, Desigual, but didn't buy anything because it's so expensive! Also, their air con wasn't working and the whole place was throbbing with heat (it was 31+ degrees yesterday) so I couldn't stay in there for long.

Then I did a tour of all my favourite cafés and drank lots of diet coke and coffee. At one place, I was chatted up by an Argentinian bloke. At first, it was quite flattering - he told me I looked beautiful in the green dress I was wearing and he seemed quite cool, a musician and very bohemian. I was flattered, but I was trying to do the Telegraph crossword (an obsession of mine - even though it costs 3x as much to buy it in Spain, I have to buy a paper and do the puzzles!) and he was quite clingy. The sun moved round, so I left to find a café where I would be sitting in the sun again. I was there for about 20 minutes and suddenly blokey appeared again - he said he'd been looking everywhere for me. I dutifully put my paper away and acted interested in what he had to say. Then it got annoying: he has a habit of touching your arm to emphasise what he's saying and he kept commenting on my appearance. I plucked up the courage to say I don't really like people talking about how I look but he continued to do it. Again the sun moved, again I left.

This time I went somewhere hidden away and he didn't come back! At about 6, I was suddenly aware that I'd not eaten all day and was quite peckish. I had a chocolate ice cream: delicious, but very drippy in the heat - I discovered some chocolate on my leg later!

Eventually, I made my way to Carretería, to meet J at 7.15pm. He arrived and we walked a short distance to meet up with some friends. When we arrived, my day walking around in the sun without much food started to take its toll and I felt really sick. Then someone gave me some camomile tea and I felt much better. Then J and I made our way home on the Harley.

Saturday
J played football with his nephews in the morning. I sat by the pool and fried for a while. Then we went to the beach, where it was extremely hot (33 degrees). I've still managed to avoid burning (a combination of getting a bit tanned before I came and using suncream - but only factor 10!) and I am getting really brown now. I have always had skin problems (eczema) and the only time it clears up totally is when I'm tanned. I love it!

In the afternoon, we had planned to go to the pool in the mountains, but I went for a siesta at 3ish and didn't wake up til 6.30! I needed the sleep. I had a shower, then we headed into Málaga to meet some friends.

Sunday
Today, we got up early and went to Marbella on the motorbike! It takes an hour and I was aching so much on the way home. Also, I forgot to put suncream on my legs and was wearing my miniskirt... I got a little bit burnt on my right thigh, but not too bad. Then I swam in the pool and sunbathed for an hour or so. I'm getting really brown! Another friend came over for coffee just now and we sat by the pool in the evening sun. It's 9.30pm as I write this, sitting on the terrace in the "cool" of 27 degrees!

Tomorrow, all the friends are coming over here, bringing food. We will eat and swim and sunbathe and chat all afternoon and evening - bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment