Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 2 - Saturday - Fuengirola

I seem to have gotten into the habit of waking in the night, so here goes for last Saturday:

On Saturday, we got up fairly early and headed off in search of the supermarket. A 5 minute walk down the hill towards the sea revealed a Quick Save, English (!) supermarket. Although it isn't cheap, it is well stocked and we were able to buy mainly Spanish products, including all the basics: bread, milk, cheese, ham, salad ingredients, water, diet coke and varied flavours of chewing gum. We came home and had a very continental breakfast. The fresh baguette and cheap ham tasted so amazing, as it is prone to doing when eaten on a terrace as the sun rises.

The weather was odd: overcast-seeming skies and hot. Most of the day, a veil of mist hung over us but it turned out to be a welcome respite from the scorching and unprotected blue sky sun that we were to experience...

We spent the morning relaxing by the pool and then had a huge mixed salad for lunch before getting on the train for Fuengirola. I heard a lot about this town on previous adventures and had only ever stopped off there during a bus change after my interview in Marbella. It has a lot of small shops to offer, but is not such a "tourist tat" shop paradise of some other places. We were on a mission to find a supermarket, but walked a looooong way to no avail, only to discover one right by the station on our way home!

We wandered around and saw the sights: a shop that sold random items, including a life-size metal deer statue that I wished I could have bought for my dad (a deer farmer). I did realise that it would take me over my luggage allowance and the €1,000 price tag stopped me too!

After much wandering and final finding of supermarket, we returned to the hotel (marvelling again at the efficacy of Spanish trains... on time, frequent, clean, air conditioned, quiet and spacious), where we got ourselves ready, admiring a few new purchases (alas the deer had to stay in the market). We made our way down to the beach area in Torremuelle and found a few restaurants that had appropriate menus (both of us have several requirements in terms of what it is and how it is cooked). We settled on what will forever be known as Pook's restaurant of the scary pig. The restaurant sign contained a picture of a pig looking slightly homocidal:
Neither of us wanted to eat pork with this little piggie watching over us... Laura ordered fish (swordfish???) with a salad and I had an amazing steak with chips. It tasted divine and we both felt wonderfully full of healthy, proper food.

More wandering around ensued and we discovered the beach, where I was happy to paddle and get my toes into the sea water that has huge healing powers for my silly dry skin. The sun and sea had already started to heal the patches of eczema that had been annoying me for some weeks.

Back home and an early night for the tired british chicas.

No comments:

Post a Comment